TOWNSHIP OF HAMILTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The society’s museum/library is located in Mays Landing at the bend where Mill
Street meets Main. Fittingly, the building is a historic one.
Built in 1904 by the R. W. Woods and Sons Company as a one-room schoolhouse for
its employees’ children, it continued to serve throughout the years for educational
purposes until its final closing in 1992. In 1996 the schoolhouse was rented to the
society, then transferred to it by the Township of Hamilton School District for $1.00
The artifacts, historical data, maps, deeds, and photographs that were being stored
in members’ residences now had a permanent home. The museum’s resources are
open to scholars and to the general public for enjoyment and research.
A 2016 restoration of the “Little Red Schoolhouse,” as it was then called, replaced
the roof, reinforced the foundation, and restored the building to its original gray
color. Maintenance and improvements are ongoing.
The museum/library is open on Saturday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm or by appointment. CLOSED JANUARY 2022.